Friday, September 25, 2009

A Lovely Synopsis of My Life

Hello fellow blog members, my name is Melissa. Seeing as how this introductory post is supposed to give you a glimpse of what I'm all about, you should probably know that I have no aspiration to use world history as an aspect of my future career. I'm a sophomore here at Grand Valley where I'm double majoring in political science and economics with a minor in business. Needless to say, I'm definitely on the 'five-year' plan. I hope to attend law school at the University of Michigan and contribute to society however I can.

I've lived on a farm my entire life in the quaint town of Linden. Since it can hardly be found on a map, as if anyone has an actual paper map, I'll just tell you it's about twenty minutes south of Flint. However, you must be careful not to assume that the dreadfulness of Flint is at all present in my town. I assure you it is not, but I digress. Having daily chores on a farm was not always fun and games. Venturing outside in the chilly hours of early morning took a great deal of discipline and a great deal of parental persuasion of course. Although I cannot complain entirely since the money I earned from showing steers in 4-H is helping to pay for my college at the moment. School sports weren't really my thing, so I ended up figure skating from 7th grade until my junior year in high school. I feel that the aforementioned activities have had the greatest impact on who I am as a person today because they have shaped my work ethic. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of things I would simply rather avoid doing, but knowing there is potential for growth in any activity motivates me to push through.

These days I turn to ballet to help take the edge off of a stressful day, but it seems blogging will have to suffice for tonight. I'm new to the blog world because I've never understood what all the hype was about. Through this history blog I hope to gain an appreciation for what all of the die-hard bloggers out there do everyday. The idea of commenting on the thoughts of others in an internet environment seems quite impersonal, but I guess that might be the beauty of it all. Even though I don't plan to pursue a career in history, I have a great deal of interest in the lives of ancient people. It fascinates me to think about how we came to be where we are today, and I want to better understand the hardships that our ancestors endured to make it all happen. I sincerely hope discussing various historical topics by blogging with eachother will provide us all with some insight into how miraculous our world is. I look forward to what this new blog world may hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment