Friday, September 25, 2009

All About Ben

I am not quite sure how to start off a blog about oneself. Should it start with a "hello?" Well, that should suffice. Hello, my name is Ben Braschler. I am a senior here at GVSU, and I am studying Political Science and History. I hope to teach with it someday, but that being said I also know how hard jobs are to find, so I might be changing my major coming up here to something more marketable. I suppose I'll see what happens within the next year or so.
I am from Hamilton, Michigan, which is about ten minutes south of Holland, Michigan to put it into perspective. I went to a smaller high school by most standards. Growing up my father was the principal of the high school, so that was always, what's the word, fun. (I hope you picked up on the sarcasm there.) That's not to say I was a bad student, it just put a lot more pressure on me than most students. That experience did teach me a lot about how to be a better student, and has been valuable since going off to college.
History has always been a passion of mine. I can think back to the fifth grade, going on a field trip to the Gerald R. Ford Museum. It was there that I was really captivated with history, and my love for the discipline has grown from that point on.
In high school, I was fascinated with the Second World War. My Grandma had four brothers who all served in the war, and I conducted interviews with them all. I hope to someday publish the interviews, but I do not have the time currently to write a book.
As for what I hope to accomplish in this class, I want to gain a better understanding of ancient history. Modern history has always been my love, so studying some new subject material might be intriguing.
Moving away from history and back to me (wow, that didn't sound arrogant), I love sports. I am a big fan of the Chicago Cubs and Chicago Bears. I try to make it out to at least three or four games each per year.
My other love is music. Actually, I should probably not be admitting this, but I am writing this while traveling to Chicago for a Dave Matthews Band concert. At least I prioritize, right?
That should be enough information on myself, especially since we just arrived at our hotel.
So until next time,
You stay classy, San Diego.

No comments:

Post a Comment