Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Welcome! Hello! Etc.

Hello to all the other world history students out there who will be following this riveting blog! My name is Anne Santa Maria and I am a junior at Grand Valley. Even though I am junior I have a fair number of classes to take, so it looks like I will be here for a few more years. I am a Geography major and I have not decided on a minor yet, but I am leaning towards Natural Resource Management. I hail from Crawfordsville, Indiana, a small town in West Central Indiana where corn and soybeans rule the landscape. I have lived in Michigan for nearly two years, but I am still astounded by how much it snows here.
I love all activities outside from backpacking to sea kayaking to playing freeze tag. I also like pina coladas and getting caught in the rain, but, more seriously, I enjoy napping, fishing, reading, and playing Rockband.
It has been a few years since I last took a history course. Blogging is new to me and it is an exciting way to allow us to discuss topics not specifically addressed in class. Last year I read the book 1491 by Charles Mann, and since then I have been fascinated with the study of the America’s before the arrival of the Europeans. Jared Diamond’s book Guns, Germs, and Steel sparked my interest in the role geography played in the development of civilizations. I hope that I can use this blog to explore these topics further, but I am also fine with whatever topics we decide to discuss over the course of this semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment