Saturday, October 3, 2009

Now There's Ardi?

Image found using Creative Commons: http://www.opride.com/oromsis/ethiopia/445-scientists-ardi-fossil-sheds-light-on-origin-of-human-species.html


So I have been wondering all week, what am I going to write for my blog? Then out of the blue a new page pops up on Yahoo News, Before Lucy came Ardi, new earliest hominid found. I though to myself, wow...I guess I have my topic. All right, so be straight forward right off the back, I am a very devoted Christian, so the past few lectures have been a little awkward. I love learning about history, but some times it is tough to not roll my eyes too much, and accept that I will someday have to be teaching things that I do not always agree with. So, with that out of the way...

I was reading this article and I found it interesting that after just learning about Lucy we get to meet Ardi. The article states that scientists claim Ardi is from 4.4 million years ago near Ethiopia. I also find it interesting that during class we talked about how certain species would die off and only one would survive and that is how the evolution process worked (theory) and that in this article it mentioned that scientists now believe apes and humans did not evolve from the ape but that we both evolved from a different common species. Now, a moment for my skepticism, but when will these theories ever stop changing? I guess, probably never.


In class we also talked about the point when these species began walking upright, on two feet. In this article it mentions that they, the scientists, believe that Ardi's species were able to "climb on all fours along tree branches" but that they could also "walk upright...when on the ground." So, according to the scientists Ardi's race was the changing period between the species that walked on all fours to those that walked only on two feet! Putting my skepticism aside, I suppose this is a great find for historical and scientific benefits.

And I will leave it at that. (as my mind is reeling with skepticism and comebacks to the scientific world)


Article from Associated Press on Yahoo News: Before Lucy came Ardi, new earliest hominid found byRandolph E. Schmid

1 comment:

  1. I have to say first that I agree with you about someday teaching students about information that I do not agree with. Putting your faith aside in your teaching is a very difficult thing to do.

    The most interesting thing of your article is that we are still in debate after all these years, and technological advances that we still do not know where we come from.

    ReplyDelete